Monday, November 10, 2008

Goodbye Party

Nov. 8, 2006 – The little boys surrounded Amy as she mixed oil, water, eggs and cake mix into a larger silver bowl. She didn't have a cup measurer, so she did her best to estimate the ingredients. I have never seen little boys more intrigued with chocolate cake mix in my life! I'm guessing they have never stood in the kitchen with anyone before, baking a cake or making rice krispie treats. They have never cooked with their mom or watched their grandmother makes them cookies. That's why Amy wanted to bake cupcakes with the children for Yanet's going-away party, instead of purchasing a store-bought cake. She wanted to give them some memories.

As the kids helped Amy in the kitchen – eating pizza and drinking Merinda – David and Yanet stayed together in the living room at the Baby Home. Tegist, one of the caregivers (who I think is especially close with Yanet), prepared a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony for the adults. The entire day was a celebration for the newly-joined McDurham family, and a celebration of the home where Yanet spent the first year of her life. It is more than evident that Yanet has been loved at this home. Extremely loved. Each of the caregivers had their own special relationship with this beautiful little girl.

After everyone ate cupcakes and drank coffee, David and Amy asked all the caregivers to come downstairs so they could tell them how much they meant to them. David could barely get a single sentence out before the entire room was in tears. He told them, "I am so thankful for you for loving Yanet so much." It was bitter sweet. The caregivers are so happy to see Yanet go with an American family – for her to have hope for a better future in the United States than she would ever have in Ethiopia. And yet, they are so sad to say goodbye.

I understand how they feel. I had to say goodbye to some special kids tonight. I have grown so attached to each and every child in this home, and I've only known them a week! I do not know when I will see them again, but God does. Whether it's on earth or in heaven, I know we will meet again. I pray that each child will find a family and experience the love that only a mother and father can provide. I pray that Yanet will always know how much she was loved in Ethiopia by her first family. And I pray that you, too, might experience the joy that I have experienced this week as I have watched God's perfect plan in action.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! David's mom told me about your blog and it's great to read their story from your perspective. David and I have been friends since we were in high school, and I just wild about Amy. Our family could not be happier for them! Thanks for such wonderful posts.
I'm going to mention this site on my blog, as I have a few readers who are following Ella's journey home.