Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A New Little Girl



I was able to see David, Amy and Yanet one last time before I left Addis Ababa on Monday. It had only been two days since I was with them (I left to join a mission team for a couple of days before I head back to the states) but it was like meeting a different family. Yanet was like a new little girl! In fact Tegist, the director of the Buckner Baby Home, kept saying, “Who are you? I do not know who this little girl is…”

Yanet was giggling and smiling. Reaching for new things and laughing at me as I played “peek-a-boo” across the table. Amy said the minute she saw me she stuck her hand out to wave. Everyone on the mission team came up to her, smiling her and tickling her… I was just sitting there, watching and waiting for her to start crying... which two days earlier, is exactly what she would have done. But no – she didn’t cry or duck her head. She just smiled back. And giggled, showing off her adorable dimples. Amazing. All she needed was a few days with her family to become herself again.

I wish I could adequately put into words how blessed I feel to have been a part of this journey with David, Amy and Yanet. Having witnessed God’s transformational powers in this little girl’s life – in this family’s life – I now know that anything is possible. Prayer makes things possible. God’s timing is supreme. And God’s redemptive character can be seen wherever we look – especially when we see a family brought together through adoption.

Now that I have adequate internet connection back in the states, I can post more pictures. These are from the last day at the Baby Home during Yanet's going-away party.


Tegist, the Baby Home director, with her daughter Tina

David and Amy with the caregivers


Saying goodbye

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The last picture brings such a mix of emotions that I can barely stand it. I keep checking David and Amy's blog, thinking they may be able to post on their return trip and then I think, "What? On THIS trip they have Ella!" There are NO free hands!

Thanks for your posts. I would give anything to be in Dallas tomorrow when they return. Luckily I'll be able to see them and meet Ella over the Christmas holidays.

I know you've been a blessing to them on this journey.

Kindest regards,
Tater Mama