Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Living by Hope

Nov. 4, 2008 -- I've spent the last four days at the Buckner Baby Home in Addis Ababa. One of the most important things for new adoptive parents to do with their child is bond. And that's why David and Amy have been doing. We've seen Yanet's reserved exterior begin melting away as she learns to be comforted by her Mom and Dad. Yesterday sweet Yanet was sick. We drove straight to the children's hospital in the city to meet her. David and Amy had the unique privilege of holding her as she vomited all over them. I told Amy, "Congratulations!" It's a milestone of motherhood.

The children living at the Buckner Baby Home are adorable. There are currently five older children and seven babies. Every child living in this home is available for international adoption. After spending time with these children, I see it as my personal responsibility to find them homes. They are so special.

The first day we were here, one of the older boys – 5-year-old J – asked David in his broken English, "You. Yanet. Plane?" David responded, "Yes, I'm going to take Yanet home on a plane." He looked up at David with his big brown eyes, clasped his hands to his chest and let out the happiest, "Oh!" as he flashed the biggest smile you've ever seen. He was so happy to know that Yanet will have a family. That she will living in America. That her life will change.

You see, the thing these children want more than anything in the world is a family of their own. They have now seen three American families come into their home and leave with one of their friends. They have received pictures of their friends in America with their new families, and I know they are happy for their friends. But they also long for the day when they will be showered with new clothes and toys. Brothers and sisters. A family to call their own.

Ellenie, the nurse at the Baby Home, said, "The children live by the hope that one day they will have a family." She said they teach all the children to be happy for their friends when they get good gifts, because the gifts are from God. But I can see the longing all over their faces – the eagerness – when they spend time with me. Or David. Or Amy. They want a family more than anything in the world. They want their own dream to come true.

Due to international adoption regulations, I cannot use the children's real names or photos in this blog. I wish I could, because your heart would melt if you could see their sweet smiles. Instead, let me tell you a little about their personalities. (There are two AMAZING older children currently living here, but they already have a family! So I'm going to focus on the other four children instead.)

John – John is 5-years-old and loves to play! He is very affectionate. He is the first one to greet us as we walk in the door. He loves to take my hand and lead me into a room to play with toys. He also loves to sing. His favorite song is "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" which he likes to sing (in English) as he flashes his hands like little stars.

Adam – Adam is 7-years-old and longs for our attention. He loves to get his picture taken. He also loves to be hugged. Wherever the action is, Adam finds a way to get in the middle of it! He is very active, but also very smart. After reading through the book, "Brown Bear" only a couple of times, he could read the whole thing aloud in English without any problems. Amazing.

Chris – Little Chris is 5-years-old and very artistic! I looked over one afternoon and he was using an etch-a-sketch to draw a car. And it was really good! He also likes to sing. Sometimes I catch him sitting alone singing with the most precious little voice. Sometimes Chris gets shy when given too much attention, but he is absolutely adorable and has the most amazing smile.

Job – Job is about a 1 and a half years old and LOVES attention! It took me a couple of days to get him to play with me (he's afraid of white women for some reason) but once he warmed up, he will come up to me and give me little gifts (like a CD case or toy) and will always come and hit my hand when I offer him a "high five." He talks all the time and runs around the room. He's very expressive and playful.

Though it's a little harder to distinguish the personalities of the little babies, I know they are all well cared for and loved. Their eyes are bright. They giggle when you give them attention. They are rolling over and making "cooing" noises. They are beautiful boys and girls

Whether you have ever considered adoption or just considered having a family, please consider these children. They will bless your life and the lives of so many others. I know God has a special home picked out for each one of them. If you think it might be yours, go to beafamily.org to learn more about international adoption with Buckner.

2 comments:

Anyra R. Cano said...

Jenny, Thank you so much for sharing how special the kids are. Please give each and one of them a big hug from me and tell them that I miss them. You are right, above gifts and special visits, their deepest desire is to have a family, to belong to a forever family. Praying for you!

J.J. said...

Jen! Oh my goodness.....i am sitting here with a heart about to burst with joy and with a burden... How incredible a story you are witnessing at this very moment. Thank you for sharing sweet friend. Praying for those precious children that still need a family.....wow. I want to sit down with you when you get back and pick your brain about all of this.... love you!

j.j.